Rea steals controversial win
Jonathan Rea claimed a controversial victory in race two of the fifth round of the World Superbike Championship at Donington Park on Sunday.
According to SuperSport.com
, The Briton took the win after both BMW Motorrad riders Leon Haslam and Marco Melandri collided with Rea on the final corner which proved a bitter end for the team after claiming the one-two in race one. Rea managed to dust himself off and cross the line first, but with Haslam and Melandri failing to recover, it was Max Biaggi and Tom Sykes who were able to sneak home in second and third respectively.
It was a controversial end to the race when Haslam led into the final corner with Melandri attempting to go up the inside. However, Melandri ran wide and opened a gap which Rea attempted to go through, but ended up making contact with Haslam and falling into the path of Melandri.
Leon Camier led Sylvain Guintoli and Ayrton Badovini to third place as the trio completed the top six.
Rea's win takes him into third place in the championship standings, behind Biaggi and Sykes, while early season leader Carlos Checa falls to fourth place ahead of Melandri.Race two results:
1. Jonathan Rea GBR Honda WSBK CBR1000RR 34m 31.847s
2. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 +0.508s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +2.029s
4. Leon Camier GBR Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 +4.245s
5. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R +6.595s
6. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR +17.469s
7. Chaz Davies GBR ParkinGO MTC Aprilia RSV-4 +17.788s
8. Loris Baz FRA Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +21.093s
9. Peter Hickman GBR Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 +21.866s
10. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Honda WSBK CBR1000RR +22.620s
11. Niccolo Canepa ITA Red Devils Ducati 1098R +26.764s
12. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA PATA Ducati 1098R +27.043s
13. Michel Fabrizio ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR +28.390s
14. Mark Aitchison AUS Grillini Progea BMW S1000RR +56.618s
15. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR +1m 20.196sNot classified:
16. Marco Melandri ITA BMW Motorrad S1000RR 22 laps completed
17. Leandro Mercado ARG Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 19 laps completed
18. Gary Mason GBR Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 14 laps completed
19. Maxime Berger FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 12 laps completed
20. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Ducati 1098R 11 laps completed
21. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV-4 10 laps completed
22. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R 0 laps completed
23. Jakub Smrz CZE Liberty Effenbert Ducati 1098R 0 laps completed