Termas de Rio Hondo -Reigning world champion Marc Marquez clinched his third pole position
of the season and 12th of his career when he qualified fastest for
Sunday's Argentina MotoGP, the first in the South American country for
The Spaniard, who has won both races so far this season
in Doha and Austin, was 0.742 quicker on his Honda than 2010 and 2012
world champion Jorge Lorenzo on a Yamaha.
Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa was third in qualifying to complete the front row.
"I didn't think I would go so quickly today," said Marquez, who has also been fastest in the three practice sessions.
Sunday, we will have to see what the temperature is like and the state
of the tyres will be very important as it is a very long race," said
Aleix Espargaro, on a Yamaha, Ducati's Andrea
Dovizioso and nine-time champion Valentino Rossi, on the second factory
Yamaha, fill the second row for Sunday's race.
Bradley Smith, on a Yamaha, leads the third row, ahead of Andrea Iannone on a Ducati and Germany's Stefan Bradl on a Honda.
Bradl survived a big highside but still looked shaken by the crash at the end of the session.
Alvaro Bautista, Pol Espargaro and Nicky Hayden will start from the fourth row.Argentina Grand Prix qualifying times on Saturday:
1. Marc Marquez (ESP/Honda) 1:37.683
2. Jorge Lorenzo (ESP/Yamaha) 1:38.425
3. Dani Pedrosa (ESP/Honda) 1:38.651
4. Aleix Espargaro (ESP/Yamaha) 1:38.794
5. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA/Ducati) 1:38.856
6. Valentino Rossi (ITA/Yamaha) 1:38.949
7. Bradley Smith (GBR/Yamaha) 1:38.958
8. Andrea Iannone (ITA/Ducati) 1:39.237
9. Stefan Bradl (GER/Honda) 1:39.297
10. Alvaro Bautista (ESP/Honda) 1:39.429