Alonso leaves hospital after crash

2015-02-25 22:54
Fernando Alonso (AFP)

Berlin - Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso has left hospital following a crash during testing in Barcelona last weekend, his McLaren team announced on Wednesday.

"We are pleased to confirm that Fernando Alonso has now left hospital. He has returned to his family's home in Spain for further rest and recuperation," McLaren said in a statement.

The Woking-based team also confirmed that Alonso will not drive in this week's final four-day pre-season test, which begins in Barcelona on Thursday.

"As a result, he will sit out this week's final winter test, at which he was due to share driving duties with Jenson Button.

"Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Honda's test and reserve driver, will replace him."

Alonso crashed into a wall after completing just 20 laps on Sunday and was airlifted to hospital under sedation.

The 33-year-old Spaniard suffered concussion but McLaren said scans on the 2005 and 2006 world champion were "completely normal."

The team blamed unusually strong winds for the crash and categorically denied there had been any mechanical failure with their MP4-30 car.

Meanwhile, motorsport website reported on Wednesday that the FIA was investigating the incident.

The governing body doesn't automatically review incidents at test events, but Alonso's unexpected prolonged stay in hospital has forced them to act.

The same report claimed the FIA will review CCTV footage of the crash with McLaren for a clearer insight into what happened.

Stricter safety regulations have already been introduced for the new season following the serious accident suffered by Jules Bianchi at the Japanese Grand Prix last year.

For 2015 a virtual safety car will be deployed, obliging drivers to reduce their speed to that indicated on their displays on their steering wheels when double waved yellow flags are needed on any section of a circuit where competitors and officials may be in danger, but the circumstances are not as such to warrant deployment of the actual safety car.

Moreover, the Australian, Malaysian, Chinese, Japanese and Russian Grands Prix will start an hour earlier than in 2014 to ensure they finish well before dusk.

The crash was just the latest setback McLaren have suffered in testing ahead of the new season, which gets underway with the Australian Grand Prix on March 15.

After eight days of testing, McLaren have completed less than half the mileage of every other team on the grid and nearly five times less than reigning champions Mercedes.

Read more on:    mclaren  |  fernando alonso  |  formula one

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Hypothetically, given the same cars to drive, who is the most talented current Formula One driver in your opinion?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.