Los Angeles - Former world number one Tiger
Woods has registered to play in the US Open in June, the US Golf Association
confirmed on Monday.
Woods had until Wednesday's deadline to
register for the tournament, which takes place at Oakmont Country Club this
year, but completed his registration three weeks ago.
The 40-year-old has not played at all this
year since undergoing two procedures on his back in 2015.
Woods's agent Mark Steinberg told ESPN that
the 14-time major winner's registration for the tournament was "simply
"No reason to read anything into
this," Steinberg was quoted as saying.
Woods also registered to play in the US
Open last year before backing out after failing to fully recover from back
Earlier this month he ruled himself out of
the Masters at Augusta, saying that while he had begun hitting balls again, he
would not be fully fit for the tournament.
"I've been hitting balls and training
daily, but I'm not physically ready," Woods said in a statement.
"I've said all along that this time I
need to be cautious and do what's best for my long-term health and career...
I'm absolutely making progress, and I'm really happy with how far I've come,
but I still have no timetable to return to competitive golf."
The Golf Channel last week reported Woods
was eyeing a possible return at the May 5-8 Wells Fargo Championship in
Charlotte or The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass on May 12-15.