Donald into Open as Van Zyl opts for Olympics

2016-07-06 21:05
Luke Donald (Gallo Images)

St. Andrews - Britain's former world No 1 Luke Donald will play in next week's British Open after South Africa's Jaco van Zyl withdrew on Wednesday in order to prepare for golf's return to the Olympics at next month's Rio Games.

Van Zyl only qualified for the South African team after Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel and Branden Grace withdrew from Olympic selection.

But he has no doubt that, in the midst of a busy season, he is better off getting ready for Rio rather than competing in golf's oldest major championship, which this year takes place at Scotland's Royal Troon course.

"I was really starting to feel the effects of a very packed schedule at the French Open last week," Van Zyl said in a statement.

"This was definitely wasn't a decision I took lightly, but something had to give and I decided to forego the majors in July in favour of the Olympics.

Van Zyl's decision means Donald, as first reserve, is now into the main Open draw.

The Englishman, who has slipped to 83rd in the world rankings, missed the cut in his first five Open appearances, including the last time the event was staged at Troon in 2004.

However, he finished 12th at St Andrews last year.


What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Who will win the 2016 edition of the Ryder Cup?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.