London - England's Simon Dyson will return to action in South Africa this week as he waits to see whether he will be banned from the European Tour for alleged cheating.
Dyson was sensationally disqualified from second place at last month's BMW Masters in Shanghai for illegally tapping down a spike mark on his putting line during the second round.
The six-time European Tour winner will front a three-man panel in London on December 5 in a hearing which sources say will hear more than one allegation against him.
Dyson pulled out of the Turkish Airlines Open but he will play at this week's South African Open and the Alfred Dunhill Championship, the first two events of the new European Tour season.
Tour chief executive George O'Grady voiced disappointment that a player of the 35-year-old's standing was facing cheating allegations.
But he said there was nothing to stop Dyson playing the two events in South Africa before the hearing, where possible punishments range from a reprimand to a ban from the tour.
"It is disappointing given that Simon is such a solid member of the European Tour for some time now but I am confident the panel will look at all the evidence and deal with the issue correctly," said O'Grady.
"A mistake has been made and the panel now have to have a look at that. Of course, Simon remains innocent at this point in time so he is quite entitled to compete this week in South Africa."