European Tour

Els predicts legal battle

2013-05-22 15:48
Ernie Els (AFP)

Wentworth - Ernie Els has predicted a legal battle over the ban on anchoring putters set to come into force in 2016 and admitted he would not have won last year's British Open without a long putter.

Els' South African compatriot Tim Clark - who has been using an anchored putting stroke since turning professional in 1998 has already vowed to look into the legality of the ban.

Four of the last six major winners, including Els who won his fourth at Royal Lytham & St Annes last year, have used the controversial method.

Adam Scott won this year's US Masters whilst Keegan Bradley and Webb Simpson have also won their first majors using long clubs.

Els has already been practising with a short putter in preparation for the ban which was announced by the R&A and United States Golf Association on Tuesday but has forecast legal wrangling to come although the PGA Tour in America has yet to reveal where it stands on the issue.

Speaking to reporters at Wentworth ahead of Thursday's start to the PGA Championship Els said: "It is a real issue for some players.

"I think you are going to have some guys who go that way - it is a huge change and some guys are probably going to take some action.

"I have been using this putter for over a year. I have won a major with it. It is a huge issue.

"This is a guy's livelihood you are talking about; a guy having problems on the greens or a guy who is used to playing with the long putter, taking that away from him now is a huge issue.

"It is going to take time for guys to get back into competitive form with a different method of playing the game. It is only natural."

Asked if he would have triumphed in last year's British Open without using a belly putter Els added: "I don't think so. I have thought about it and I was in such a state on the greens but I am a lot better now.

"It was more of a psychological thing for me. I don't think I could have won the Open with a shorter putter."

The PGA Tour could yet allow anchoring of putters during its own events but is waiting to consult with its members before acting.

Clark told USA Today: "We're not going to roll over and just accept this. We will look into all options. We have been put into a position where we have to fight for our livelihoods.

"We will do what we need to do to get a fair result. We certainly have legal standing."

Els added: "I don't want to speak for the US Tour but they are probably going to have to play ball somehow."

Read more on:    european tour  |  ernie els  |  golf

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk


Who will win the 2016 edition of the Ryder Cup?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.