ICC insist they have learnt from McCullum case

2016-06-07 16:38
ICC logo (File)

London - The International Cricket Council said Tuesday they had improved their procedures for handling evidence of match-fixing after coming under fire from Brendon McCullum.

The former New Zealand captain, delivering the MCC Spirit of Cricket Cowdrey Lecture at Lord's on Monday, recalled his anger that the evidence he gave against his old international team-mate Chris Cairns in a match-fixing court case in London last year was leaked prior to trial.

"How can the game's governing body expect players to cooperate with it when it is then responsible for leaking confidential statements to the media?" McCullum, now playing for Lord's-based Middlesex in English cricket's domestic Twenty20 competition, said Monday.

The legal case ended with Cairns found not guilty and McCullum said he should have been given more warning from the outset of first giving evidence to the ICC in 2011 that he could be called as a witness in a court action.

"I think players deserve better from the ICC and that, in the future, the evidence gathering exercise has to be much more thorough, more professional.

"In my opinion a person taking a statement should ensure that the witness is advised about what may occur."

Responding to McCullum's address the ICC acknowledged his stance but insisted they had not been the source of the leak.


"The ICC commended Brendon McCullum two years ago -- and continues to do so today -- for his brave, courageous and principled stand against corruption in cricket," the global governing body said in a statement.

"The ICC also understood and shared his dismay at the leak of his confidential statement, which prompted a thorough and detailed investigation by the ICC.

"While the probe proved that the origin of the leak was not from within the ICC, it failed to establish beyond doubt the actual source.

"Nevertheless, the ICC has already put strong measures in place to ensure this type of incident is never repeated."

The statement added: "In 2014 (and unrelated to the leak of confidential information), a comprehensive review of the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit was carried out to review its processes, functions and resources. The review was conducted by the ICC's Integrity Working Party (IWP), which included independent corruption experts.

"All the recommendations of the IWP were reviewed and adopted by the ICC Board during the 2015 ICC Annual Conference in Barbados.

"Every event or incident provides an organisation with opportunities to review its structures and measure its operations against best practice. This is exactly what the ICC has done in this particular case -- it believes the outcome has been processes, procedures and resources which have been further bolstered and strengthened.

"The ICC reconfirms that it is doing absolutely everything in its power to fight the threat of corruption in the sport and will continue to do so. It also reaffirms its commitment to gain and retain the complete trust of cricketers, and to work in close co-operation with all stakeholders in cricket."

The ICC were not the only cricket authority in McCullum's sights on Monday.

Hard-hitting batsman McCullum said Lou Vincent, another former New Zealand team-mate had been harshly treated in receiving a life ban from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after admitting engaging in spot-fixing -- deliberately under-peforming to stage a betting coup during a game -- in county matches.

The ECB ban was applied worldwide and McCullum said: "I struggle with the severity of this when a player has cooperated fully and accepted responsibility.

"It is vital that players found guilty of offences having acknowledged wrongdoing are shown a degree of clemency -- failing which there seems to be very little incentive for them to come forward."

Read more on:    icc  |  brendon mccullum  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.