Cape Town - English county Sussex have announced the signing
of South African all-rounder David Wiese for next week’s NatWest T20 Blast
matches at The 1st Central County Ground, Hove.
The 31-year-old will be available for Sussex’s first two
home matches, against Somerset on Wednesday, June 1 and Surrey on Friday June 3,
filling in before the arrival of Bangladeshi left-arm seamer Mustafizur Rahman
from the Indian Premier League.
The seamer has featured regularly for South Africa's T20I
squad throughout 2015 and was part of South Africa's 2016 World T20 squad. To
date, he has played 20 T20 Internationals and six One-Day Internationals,
having taken 33 wickets across the two formats.
His best international figures of five for 23 came against
the West Indies in Durban last year.
Wiese, who is currently also in the IPL, playing with fellow
Sussex star Chris Jordan for Royal Challengers Bangalore, said of his move to
Hove: “I am really excited to be joining Sussex and taking part in the NatWest
T20 Blast campaign.
“I have always wanted to play county cricket and from
speaking to Chris Jordan here in the IPL and my discussions with Mark Davis I
have heard a lot of very good things about the club.”
Sussex’s head coach, Mark Davis, told the county’s official
website: “It’s great to have David joining us fresh from the IPL. He is an
accomplished cricketer in T20, having played a key role for South Africa in the
“He can bowl at any stage of the innings, and is a hard-hitting
batsman, which makes him a valuable cricketer and we look forward to him being
an asset to us whilst he is here at Hove.”