Bravo criticises Windies cricket board

2015-12-16 09:01
Dwayne Bravo

Melbourne - Out-of-favour all-rounder Dwayne Bravo on Wednesday lamented the sorry state of West Indian cricket and said those running the game needed to take a long hard look at themselves.

Bravo was stripped of the one-day captaincy a year ago then left out of the West Indies' World Cup squad after the team he skippered walked out of their tour of India last year in a row over contracts.

He has not been picked for one-dayers since and quit Test cricket this year after being ignored by selectors.

In Australia to play for the Melbourne Renegades in the Twenty20 Big Bash League, Bravo said it was painful to see what had happened to the once-formidable West Indian team.

"Times change and I think that is one of our problems, we tend to hold on too much to the past and not focus on the future. That has been our downfall," he said.

"It's painful to see the state of our cricket."

His comments come amid stinging criticism about the tourists' inept performance in the first Test of their current series against Australia, who won in Hobart by an innings inside three days on Saturday.

Bravo joined a host of fellow former greats in blaming the West Indies Cricket Board for the current malaise.

"We've got the players to be up there with the best in the world but there's a lot of things going on," he said.

"Those in charge have to look into themselves. We don't have proper grounds, proper nets or a proper academy. All these things are a part of our downfall.

"The relationship between players, board members and management staff -- it needs to get stronger and tighter. They (the board) need to have a lot more honesty."

His remarks follow pace great Michael Holding on Tuesday saying the West Indies Cricket Board was "dysfunctional, untrustworthy and not liked by the employees", while Brian Lara blasted its "bad governance".

Bravo said despite wanting to play Test cricket again earlier this year, he was now no longer interested.

"Until earlier this year I was still interested to play Test cricket but I have yet to hear anything from any selector, what their plans are for me, what my position is," said 32-year-old Bravo, who has played 40 Tests.

"I just decided it's time to move on with my life and try to channel my energy in different places.

"I would have loved the opportunity to play Test cricket again but since being dropped back in 2010 I never got the chance and I just decided to call it a day."

Despite this and his row with the West Indian board, he has not given up hope of again playing the shorter forms of the game at international level.

"I'm not shutting down my opportunities to represent the West Indies, I still 100 percent want to play for the West Indies in one-day internationals and T20s," he said.

Read more on:    west indies  |  dwayne bravo  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.