Watson: I didn't split on Warner

2013-06-29 09:00
Shane Watson (AFP)

London - Shane Watson has denied any role in forcing Australia cricket chiefs to take action against David Warner for the opener's attack on England's Joe Root.

Earlier this month, Warner was fined Aus$11,500 and suspended until the start of the Ashes in Nottingham on July 10 by Cricket Australia. The sanctions were for punching Root in a Birmingham bar following Australia's Champions Trophy loss to their arch-rivals.

The fall-out from the saga then took a shock turn when coach Mickey Arthur was sacked on Monday, just 16 days out from the Ashes.

Following Warner's suspension, there were reports in the Australian media that officials had only decided to discipline Warner after Watson had complained about double standards.

Watson was one of four players dropped from the Test side during a 4-0 series loss in India earlier this year for failing to hand in a written feedback requested by team management.

Watson told the Cricinfo website on Friday that Arthur's actions in India had set a "dangerous precedent" and lauded new coach Darren Lehmann.

But he insisted he had not done anything to make officials suspend Warner.

"Absolutely not," Watson said when asked if he had informed Arthur of events at the Walkabout bar in Birmingham.

"In the end, the coaching staff and Mickey and the leadership group found out about Dave's incident off their own bat.

"It had absolutely nothing to do with me in any way shape or form and I'm not sure why that was brought out in the media because it certainly wasn't the truth.

"They obviously found out, there were some people who were in and around the incident at the time who had relayed the information, so it certainly had nothing to do with me."

Watson has been told by former Australia batsman Lehmann he will be one of Australia's openers in the Ashes and scored 90 in the ongoing tour match against Somerset in Taunton.

"The way Darren operates is a more light-hearted way (than Arthur)," Watson said.

England begin their defence of the Ashes against arch-rivals Australia in the first of a five-Test series at Trent Bridge, Nottingham, on July 10.

Read more on:    david warner  |  shane watson  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.