Hughes' state funeral cancelled

2014-12-08 10:25
Phil Hughes (Getty)

Sydney - New South Wales state premier Mike Baird says a planned state funeral for fallen cricket star Phil Hughes has been called off.

Hughes died on November 27, two days after being struck by a short-pitched ball during a domestic first class match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. He was 25.

More than 5 000 people, including former Australia teammates and players from around the world, attended a funeral service in Hughes' hometown of Macksville, New South Wales last Wednesday.

New South Wales planned a state funeral to honour Hughes' contribution to cricket in his home state, but Baird said Monday the ceremony had been cancelled after consultation with Hughes' family and Cricket Australia.

Read more on:    phil hughes  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.