Pakistan v SA

Riaz ruled out Proteas series

2010-11-13 14:17
Wahab Riaz (File)

Dubai - Pakistan paceman Wahab Riaz was ruled out of the remainder of the on-going first and next week's second Test against South Africa after straining a muscle, team manager Intikhab Alam said on Saturday.

The 25-year-old took 2-61 off 18 overs on the opening day of the first Test on Friday before suffering the muscle injury on his right side and could not bowl on Saturday.

"Riaz has suffered a side strain on the right side and needs four to five weeks for recovery before rehabilitation, so he will return to Pakistan after the first Test," Alam said.

Alam said there will be no replacement for Riaz.

This is the second blow to Pakistan in the two-Test series after experienced batsman Mohammad Yousuf had to be withdrawn from the team as his groin injury recurred minutes before the toss on Friday.

Riaz made his Test debut on Pakistan's tour of England, taking five wickets in the Oval Test. He has so far played three Tests, nine one-day and two Twenty20 matches.

The second Test starts in Abu Dhabi on November 20.

Read more on:    pvp


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

25 November 2015
India v South Africa, Jamtha, Nagpur 06:00
03 December 2015
India v South Africa, Delhi 06:00
26 December 2015
South Africa v England, Durban 10:00
Previous Results

Date Match Result

Having shared their two-Test series, who will win the five-match ODI series between Pakistan and South Africa?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.