News24

SA quickie qualifies for NZ

2012-04-19 10:01

Auckland - South African-born pace bowler Neil Wagner has been declared eligible to play for New Zealand after the International Cricket Council ruled there were special circumstances why he did not meet residency regulations, NZ Cricket said on Thursday.

The ICC requires a player to spend at least 183 days in a country for four successive years to be considered for selection.

The 26-year-old Wagner, who moved to New Zealand in 2008, failed to achieve the minimum number of days on two occasions.

Once because he was playing a Twenty20 competition overseas with his New Zealand province Otago and the second time due to a family wedding.

NZC then sought dispensation from the world governing body to select the left-armer, who took a record five wickets in one over in a first class match in 2011.

"Approval was given for both occasions meaning the South African born player is now available for selection by New Zealand," NZC said in a statement on Thursday.

New Zealand, who were beaten by Wagner's native South Africa in their Twenty20, one-day and Test series last month, tour the West Indies in July and August before a trip to India in late August and September.

If selected, Wagner would join a growing list of recently capped New Zealand players born in South Africa.

Wicketkeeper batsman BJ Watling (Durban-born) and wicketkeeper Kruger van Wyk (Wolmaransstad-born) both played Tests earlier this year, while all-rounder Grant Elliott (Johannesburg-born) played for New Zealand in 2008 and 2009.

Middle order batsman Dean Brownlie also spent most of his life in Western Australia and moved to Christchurch in 2009, but qualified for his adopted country through his New Zealand-born father.

Reuters

Comments
  • Sulaiman - 2012-04-19 09:27

    Wow a record of five wickets in one over must be pretty good then.

      Rob - 2012-04-19 10:23

      He IS good. He's South African !

  • stoute.babuseng - 2012-04-19 09:56

    Sell out. lol but then again i don't blame you, the chances of you not playing for SA even with that good record are high they call it transformation BS if you ask me

      Sean - 2012-04-19 10:12

      agree 100%

      patrickjasoncawood - 2012-04-19 10:55

      what are you on about stoute? living in the past?

      Ndira - 2012-04-19 11:18

      stoute you have pre 94 tendencies......look at the bowling rankings, you'll see that we dont need him

      Bob - 2012-04-19 11:33

      Sorry Patrick, I didn't know our government had done away with it's racist policies of selecting people on colour, hopefully they have done away with BEE aswell, another racist policy where South African white people can't gain employment because of their colour.

  • chiepner - 2012-04-19 10:41

    So NZ wil soon be known as South African C side? Seeing that England already is our B side.....

      Bob - 2012-04-19 11:29

      More like England is your A side considering they are the No1 ranked test side, yawn your comment is so boring.

  • John - 2012-04-19 11:27

    Why is this news, a nobody who does not even play for South Africa, should we celebrate everytime a South African defects to another country unless there is another agenda here news24......

  • Thee - 2012-04-19 12:11

    Take a bow RSA. I guess u are a great breeding ground for international selectors. I think they might be all for the notion 'if you can't beat them, take from them!'

      Inky - 2012-04-19 14:41

      @Thee. Nobody is “taking from SA”! The numerous talented young men are choosing to play for another country because clearly they want to improve the quality of their lives and careers. If Australia or England had lost the quality and quantity of players we have then (unlike in SA) heads would have rolled a long time ago. As Bob says, most Sport24 contributors resort to very immature and old cliché’s i.e. where do the English cricketers stay when they tour SA or England is the SA “B” side, KP is wanker because he bad mouthed SA (something he never did) and Trott is an arrogant little prick. How about holding the highly paid administrators accountable for not retaining this talent and putting pressure on the anc regarding their racial policies.

  • nigel.mercuur - 2012-04-19 14:42

    Just a question: as a fast bowler, who in the current SA side will he be replacing, if we was that good? Steyn, Morkel, Philander, De Lange?? If these guys want to go and play for another country, let us please stop crying about transformation. Unfortunately this guy is not playing domestic cricket in SA, so we don't really know how good he is..

      Inky - 2012-04-19 16:21

      Why must people “stop crying about transformation”? Do you seriously expect people to accept an unjust system that advocates racial selection, BEE, AA, quotas etc.? You and your anc pals should start taking responsibility for the damage it is doing to the country in general and sport in particular.

  • Songezo - 2012-04-19 17:18

    If these racist wnt go let them go, SA is nt shot of talent

  • Songezo - 2012-04-19 17:18

    If these racist wnt go let them go, SA is nt shot of talent

  • Rory Neil Price - 2012-04-22 14:39

    Songezo racist? Maybe but most of us that left SA, did not do so because we wanted too, BEE drove us out, if all was on an equal footing and the best candidate got the job irrespective of skin colour, most of us would still be there, and it is not only whites that have left, blacks, Indians and coloureds as well, so not all people that have left are racists,

  • pages:
  • 1