Ryder fight video online

2013-04-08 07:39
Jesse Ryder (Getty)
Sydney - A man who breached a court suppression order by uploading a video of the two men accused of attacking cricketer Jesse Ryder could be charged.

According to the stuff, website, the man, who is also a witness to the attack, filmed the accused leaving court on Thursday on his cellphone and posted it to YouTube and Facebook. He also published their names online.

He told One News he had no intention of removing the video, which still remains on YouTube. So far, it has had more than 7600 views.

Detective Senior Sergeant Brian Archer said police were aware of the video circulating online and "further enquiries into this matter are continuing".

Canterbury-Westland branch president of the Law Society Rachel Dunningham said anyone who breached a suppression order could face up to a $50 000 fine or a maximum of six months in prison.

Dunningham said they could be charged with breaching the Criminal Procedure Act or held in contempt of court.

She said suppression orders were made for good reasons. "The real risk of prejudice to a fair trial. Hardship for victims of the offence. Endangering the safety of a person.

"It could be any combination of circumstances. The court doesn't make them lightly."

She said people needed to be aware everyone was "bound" by name suppression orders, not just the media.

"With the internet now people have powerful publication tools at their fingertips and can cause just as much damage to a fair trial as mainstream media [by breaching a suppression order]."

Canterbury University's School of Law Professor Ursula Cheer said the fact the breach seemed "very deliberate" made it a serious offence.

"If you knowingly breach a suppression order you're liable to a more serious penalty."

She said it was "obviously a possibility" the man could be charged for breaching the suppression order.

Cheer said the fact the judge issued the interim suppression order despite the men being named in The Press earlier that day, showed the decision was not made lightly.

The accused, 37-year-old builder and his 20-year-old nephew, a carpetlayer, are to reappear in court next Thursday.

Read more on:    jesse ryder  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.