Duminy set for Proteas return
Johannesburg - South Africa are confident that all-rounder JP Duminy will be fit to play in the Champions Trophy tournament in England and Wales in June.
Duminy was ruled out for six months after rupturing his Achilles' tendon in a warmdown session during the first Test against Australia in Brisbane in November.
"JP is five-and-a-half months post-op and has started sprinting at up to 80 percent of maximum," Proteas team manager Mohammed Moosajee said on Wednesday.
Duminy had been working with South Africa's head coach, Gary Kirsten, under the supervision of Proteas physiotherapist Brandon Jackson and the Cape Cobras medical team of Shane Jabaar and Dieter Swanepoel, and was on course to return to full activity by the end of May.
"At present he is batting without restriction with the help of Gary in the nets, and should be able to start bowling unrestricted within the next week," Moosajee said.
"We are exercising extreme caution because of the sensitive nature of the injury but we remain cautiously optimistic of his speedy return to action."
Meanwhile, Proteas T20 captain Faf du Plessis was expected to return to the field next week after six weeks on the sidelines.
The 28-year-old all-rounder was ruled out of the last two one-day internationals against tourists Pakistan, due to a lower back injury, in March.
"Du Plessis has been doing rehab, including hyperbaric oxygen therapy sessions to assist with the recovery," Cricket SA said in a statement.
"He is currently at the Indian Premier League (IPL) with the Chennai Super Kings and is scheduled to resume playing next week."