Barnes threatens to quit

2011-05-05 17:59
Vincent Barnes (File)

Johannesburg - If another chance to be head coach of the South African cricket team passes, assistant coach Vinnie Barnes says he might have to look at other options that are on the table.

In his seven years in the Proteas set-up, Barnes, 51, has served as deputy to Eric Simons, Ray Jennings, Mickey Arthur and Corrie van Zyl.

The top coaching position in the country has eluded the former Western Province fast bowler.

Arthur - Barnes' assistant when coaching the South African A team - was appointed ahead of him to replace Simons after Jennings served on an interim basis in 2005.

Last year, Van Zyl was appointed to fill the gap left by Arthur, who cut short his contract, until the end of the recent World Cup on the subcontinent.

The favourite choice for the job now is former opening batsman Gary Kirsten - the man who led India to their World Cup triumph.

"I truly wouldn't like to talk about that (the coaching position)," said Barnes.

"At the moment, I can say that I do have two other options that are available to me which I could consider."

Some reports suggested that Barnes had taken himself out of the running by not applying for the job, and only two people - Kirsten and former Pakistan coach Richard Pybus - were realistically in line for the post.

However, Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Gerald Majola confirmed on Thursday that from the "six or seven names" that were initially considered, the shortlist had been cut down to four.

The other name reportedly left on the list is former Highveld Lions mentor Dave Nosworthy.

While Barnes would not confirm whether he was in the running, he added that he recently had a chat with Majola about the matter.

"Basically, I have spoken to Gerald about it," Barnes said.

"To me, if I serve cricket in whatever form - it doesn't always have to be in the national team - then I'm fine.

"Whatever decision is taken in the end, I truly wouldn't have any issues with it, or coaching wherever."

Majola said the interview process for the four candidates would begin on May 16 and 17.

Read more on:    vincent barnes

Stokes brings the 'X factor'

2016-10-25 21:49

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

03 November 2016
Australia v South Africa, Perth 04:30
12 November 2016
Australia v South Africa, Hobart 01:30
24 November 2016
Australia v South Africa, Adelaide Oval 05:30
Previous Results

Date Match Result

Should Proteas coach Russell Domingo stay - or go - as national coach?

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.