PCB upset at Ireland snub

2014-06-11 16:00
Pakistan Cricket Board (File)

Lahore - Pakistan has expressed disappointment Wednesday after Ireland cancelled a scheduled tour following a militant siege on Karachi airport that left 37 people dead, dashing hopes of reviving international cricket following a five year hiatus.

A Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) spokesman said arrangements for a three-match series with associate team Ireland were close to being finalised.

"Ireland team was due to play three one-day matches in Lahore in the first week of September and a lot of effort had gone into convincing them.

"But all efforts have gone in vain again," PCB spokesman Agha Akbar said.

Sunday night's attacks on Karachi airport left 37 people dead including 10 militants.

Pakistan has been a "no go" location for international squads ever since terrorists attacked the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore in March 2009.

The attacks, which killed eight people and injured seven visiting players, forced Pakistan to play all its home matches in neutral venues within the United Arab Emirates.

The PCB had twice convinced Bangladesh to tour them in 2012 but the short, limited-over series failed to take off because of security fears.

PCB said England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had helped in their latest efforts to see an international squad tour the troubled country.

Cricket Ireland confirmed the talks were in advance stage.

"Cricket Ireland and the PCB were in advanced discussions to play three ODIs in Pakistan in September," Barry Chambers, Cricket Ireland's spokesperson told ESPNcricinfo.

"There had been a preliminary agreement to play three games subject to a security review by credible experts, and agreement from the players and staff, which would have been the next stage of the process.

"With the recent tragic events at Karachi Airport, the series will now be deferred to a later date."

The PCB last month sent an invitation to Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) for a short series in Pakistan after their president Mahinda Rajapakse assured he will send the team.

SLC said it will consider and reply on the invitation after consultations but reports suggest no series will take place this year.

Read more on:    pcb  |  cricket


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

The whole saga regarding the team selection for the Proteas Cricket World Cup semi-final continues to drag on... and on! Who do you believe?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.