Aus cricket shake-up slammed
Sydney - Australia's cricketers association has slammed a trial shake-up of the domestic one-day game, saying there had been no consultation and that the new format based on split innings was difficult to comprehend.
In a radical departure from the conventional 50-over cricket, Australia will trial a 45-over game for its 31 domestic matches this season, with teams playing two innings of 20 and 25 overs, in a bid to stem flagging interest in the shorter format.
Governing body Cricket Australia (CA) put the new format down to a response to the demands of fans, but the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) said it had disappointed players.
"The decision by CA to trial the split innings format in this year's domestic one-day event was made before collective player input was even sought," ACA chief executive Paul Marsh told local media on Saturday.
"For the people that play and know the game better than anyone, this process has been difficult to comprehend and players are very disappointed.
"They acknowledge that the one-day format has had its recent challenges and as a collective they want to help those running the game find the best solution.
"However, the players don't believe the split innings format is the best solution."
The new format, which allows bowlers 12 overs rather than the conventional 10 and awards points for first-innings leads, has been welcomed in other circles, however, with India's Sachin Tendulkar voicing his support.
"I am glad it's being tried out in Australia. I feel once the players have tried out this format, they will be in a better position to judge if (it) works or not," he told Indian media.
"Today, we can tell the result of close to 75% of matches after the toss. ... But (splitting the game into two innings) is not too dependent on the toss because, (if) it's a day-night match, then both the teams will have to bat under lights."