Mills 'regrets' Faf outburst
Johannesburg - The rancour created by New Zealand's verbal and physical attack against Faf du Plessis during last year's World Cup quarterfinal against South Africa would appear to be over.
Moments after Du Plessis was involved in the run out of AB de Villiers in Dhaka on March 25, the drinks break in the match saw Black Caps 12th man Kyle Mills launch into a vicious tirade against Du Plessis in an attempt to turn the match further towards the New Zealanders. Du Plessis responded in similar fashion and both players were fined and reprimanded as a result.
Fast bowler Mills admitted on Sunday in Napier, venue for the second ODI between the countries, that he wished the incident had never happened. Far from being the systematically planned "attack" which most believes it to be, Mills said it was a spontaneous moment - and one he wished had never taken place.
"That incident is one of the biggest regrets of my career. It was the combination of a lot of things, largely the emotion of it being my second World Cup and being injured for such a big game. There was a lot of frustration in me and it came out at a pretty embarrassing time.
"I apologised to Faf that evening - we were staying in the same hotel and I went to his room and said sorry. It didn't look good for me and I'm just sorry it happened.
"If there's one thing I could change in my career so far, it would be that moment."
Du Plessis said after his match-winning 66 from 49 balls in the first game of the three-match series that the moment was "gone and in the past".