Mickey Arthur sues for R40m
Sydney - Sacked Australian coach Mickey Arthur is seeking up to A$4 million (R40m) in
compensation or his job back from Cricket Australia (CA), claiming he was
racially discriminated against, local media reported on Tuesday.
African-born Arthur - Australia's first foreign head coach - was fired
last month before the Ashes series after CA said he failed to turn
around declining standards of discipline in the team.
Network television report cited court documents it says show Arthur is
seeking payments and compensation to the end of his 2015 contract. His
salary was reportedly A$400 000 (R4m) per year plus some A$200 000 (R2m) a year in
Seven said Arthur, who was replaced by former Australia Test batsman Darren Lehmann, claims he was discriminated against because
he was from South Africa and did not understand the Australian way.
court documents also show Arthur saw himself as the "meat in the
sandwich" amid a fierce feud between captain Michael Clarke and
allrounder Shane Watson, Seven reported.
The network added that
Arthur also alleged Watson told him about the incident in which
Australia opener David Warner punched England batsman Joe Root during
the Champions Trophy. Arthur was fired shortly after the incident and
Warner was subsequently fined and suspended.
it has come to this position, but Cricket Australia is confident in its
position on this matter and I'm sure it will get resolved in an
appropriate fashion," CA lawyer Dean Kino told Seven.
guided Australia to 10 wins, six losses and three draws since his
appointment in November 2011, but he polarised public opinion when he
dropped four players - including then vice-captain Watson - for the
third Test in India for failing to complete written reports on their
individual contributions to the team's performance. The embarrassing
saga was quickly dubbed "Homeworkgate."
Watson left India before
returning a week later to captain the team in the fourth Test after
Clarke was sidelined with injury. He has since stood down as
vice-captain and, for the Ashes tour, veteran Brad Haddin was recalled
as Clarke's deputy despite not being the first-choice wicketkeeper in
more than a year.