Johannesburg - The disciplinary hearing into Cricket SA's (CSA) suspended chief executive Gerald Majola is underway, but it is likely to take longer than expected.
"As far as we're concerned, the hearing got underway the moment we were advised that an advocate had been appointed to chair the disciplinary hearing," CSA spokesperson Michael Owen-Smith said on Thursday.
"Counsel for both sides were served with papers and the hearing is in progress and being conducted in private. It is now in their hands."
John Myburgh was appointed by the Bar Council as the independent chairperson to head the disciplinary hearing while the time frame for completion was initially set for May 31.
"We cannot put a time frame on it but, frankly, that's not going to happen as the process has only just got going," Owen-Smith said.
"It will be done as quickly as possible but it will take considerably longer than initially anticipated."
In March, a ministerial inquiry, headed by retired judge Chris Nicholson, found Majola had "surreptitiously" received R1.8m in unauthorised bonuses from the 2009 Indian Premier League (IPL), hosted by South Africa.
Nicholson said a prima facie case existed that Majola had contravened sections of the Companies Act and recommended Majola be suspended and the bonus money be recovered.
Owen-Smith confirmed that Majola's suspension was for the duration of the hearing, and deliberation of its outcome, and not for a specified period, initially quoted as one year.
"The suspension is until completion of the disciplinary hearing," Owen-Smith said.
"They never put a time on it and I'm not sure where the one year came from."