Brett Lee charges dropped

2013-01-02 07:35
Brett Lee (Getty)

Sydney - Misconduct charges against veteran Australian fast bowler Brett Lee for criticising administrators have been withdrawn and a compromise agreed, cricket officials said Wednesday.

Cricket New South Wales (NSW) reported Lee to Cricket Australia for alleged code of conduct breaches after he claimed that dumped NSW coach Anthony Stuart had been made the scapegoat for failings of the state's cricket hierarchy.

The former Test quick, who still plays in the domestic Big Bash League, said in an interview that NSW had "seriously dropped the ball" and Cricket NSW chief David Gilbert "should have been made to go" instead of Stuart.

Lee attended a disciplinary hearing of governing body Cricket Australia in Sydney over the comments on Wednesday, where charges of unbecoming behaviour and detrimental public comment were dropped and a compromise brokered.

Instead of being disciplined, Lee was invited to address a new committee established to address his concerns about the future of cricket in NSW.

"Both parties are very pleased to have found a way forward and at having arrived at a very positive mutual outcome," Cricket NSW said in a statement.

"Brett Lee looks forward very much to working constructively with Cricket New South Wales into the future."

Lee had been unapologetic about the comments despite the disciplinary threat, saying he stood by them as being "in the best interests of NSW cricket" and was looking forward to stating his case to officials.

After the three-hour hearing Lee said he was "really, really pleased with the outcome".

"I'm looking forward in the next seven to 12 days to meet(ing) with the subcommittee of the board to move forward and get this state back where it used to be," Lee told reporters.

"The last 10 years it's been going through some tough times. I'm actually looking forward to improving that and getting NSW back to where it was."

Read more on:    australia  |  brett lee  |  cricket

We have to believe - Domingo

2015-11-26 21:31


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

The whole saga regarding the team selection for the Proteas Cricket World Cup semi-final continues to drag on... and on! Who do you believe?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.