News24

KP, ECB reach agreement

2012-10-03 12:37

London - Axed England batsman Kevin Pietersen is set to play international cricket again after reaching an agreement with the England and Wales Cricket Board, the ECB said on Wednesday.

"The ECB and Kevin Pietersen confirm that agreement has been reached concerning a process for his re-integration into the England team during the remainder of 2012," the ECB said in a statement.

"Upon completion of the programme, the England selectors will consider Kevin for future matches."

The 32-year-old star batsman was cast into international exile in August after sending text messages to touring South Africa players that contained criticism of then England captain Andrew Strauss during the Test series.

He missed out on England's failed World Twenty20 title defence in Sri Lanka and was not also selected for the upcoming tour of India.

The ECB confirmed reports that Pietersen had apologised to Strauss for what he admitted were "provocative" messages to the South African players.

"Pietersen has apologised to Andrew Strauss and wishes to express to all those who support England his regrets at the impact the recent controversies have had on the England team," the statement continued.

"He now wishes to put the events of the summer behind him and to focus on regaining his place in the England team.

"Kevin conceded that the messages exchanged were provocative. The ECB is satisfied, following receipt of this binding assurance, that to the best of his recollection, Kevin did not convey any messages which were derogatory about the England captain, the England team director (Andy Flower), the ECB or employees of the ECB.

"Furthermore, there was no tactical information whatsoever provided to members of the South African touring party."

It was unclear if Pietersen, who is in Sri Lanka working as a studio expert for the host broadcaster for the World Twenty20, will be considered for the Indian tour starting next month.

Defending champions England failed to qualify for the semi-finals of the tournament.

Pietersen, who appeared with ECB chairman Giles Clarke at a briefing for travelling British journalists in Colombo on Wednesday, hoped he would play for England "as soon as possible."

"It's been a horrible situation for all involved but it's time to move forward," Pietersen was quoted as saying by those present at the briefing.

"All being well, I'll be back in an England shirt as soon as possible.

"I am committed to completing the re-integration process we have agreed over the coming weeks and resuming my England career in all formats, hopefully until the World Cup in 2015 and as long as my body allows.

"I want my son growing up seeing me playing for England and I hope one day he will put an England shirt on himself.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to my team-mates, all England supporters and the ECB for the situation that has arisen over the last couple of months. Thankfully we have drawn a line under it and can move forward."

ECB's Clarke added: "Kevin has signed a central contract today. Andy Flower will determine the progress of the re-integration process. It could be soon, it could be much later."

Pietersen, born in Pietermaritzburg in South Africa, has played 88 Tests, 127 one-day matches and 36 Twenty20 internationals for England since his debut in November, 2004.

The accomplished batsman has scored 7 076 Test runs at an average of 49.48 with 21 centuries and 27 half-centuries.

He also has 4 184 one-day runs with nine hundreds and was man of the tournament when England won the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean in 2010.

Flower, asked on Monday if Pietersen had been missed in Sri Lanka, said: "Of course, but he wasn't available for this tournament when we selected the side."

AFP

Comments
  • boom.afridi.56 - 2012-10-03 12:42

    "reintegration programme" LOL sounds like he's joining the AA.

      Skwertno1 - 2012-10-03 12:50

      He is @!!!!!

      liesure.larry - 2012-10-03 13:47

      Malema is very quiet these days... I wonder why???

      deon.louw.7505 - 2012-10-03 14:20

      Maybe anger management classes?

      liesure.larry - 2012-10-03 14:53

      Deon i think he got a tap on the hand from his lawyer...

  • jay.vyas.984 - 2012-10-03 12:42

    Ha Ha Ha The Gutless England Cricket Board, They just do not have enough local talent to replace KP! KP will now need a Trailer to Tow his Ego around everywhere! I Rest my Case! BTW... Do Not Buy an e-Tag! EVER!

  • jaco.groenewald.731 - 2012-10-03 12:51

    Get rid of Broad, and you will be well away!!!

      liesure.larry - 2012-10-03 14:55

      i wonder what is the broadest is head or his arms(that seems never to be next to his body.). Looks like he carries imaginary watermelons...

  • leonard.w.gray - 2012-10-03 13:53

    damage control after England's dismal t20

  • SirFGrumpy - 2012-10-03 14:16

    Oh well "shoot from the lip" does it again. He has had to back down and eat humble pie!

  • eddie.botha.3 - 2012-10-03 14:26

    Still want to know who the SA players were who received the tweets and whether they forwarded the content to Strauss and the ECB. It was reported that the messages had been sent to AB and Dale Steyn. To clear the presumption that they have ratted on KP, should the matter not be cleared. And what about KP's father who said the full story has not been told. Has he now made a turn-around?

  • cilliers.vanniekerk.1 - 2012-10-03 15:58

    Good luck, KP, sadder and wiser or not; you remain a fine cricketer!

  • pages:
  • 1