Johnson 'in the mix' for recall

2012-10-23 09:54
Mitchell Johnson (Gallo)
Sydney - Mitchell Johnson still has a future in Test cricket and the 30-year-old could be in line for a recall, Australia's new fast-bowling coach has said.

Allister de Winter said Johnson's recent form could spell an end to a frustrating period in the wilderness for the left-arm quick, local media reported on Tuesday.

"He's probably still in the mix," de Winter told reporters at Bellerive. "I think he's started the season really well in terms of Sheffield Shield cricket.

"He bowled very well in our tour to Dubai in the one-day tournament."

Johnson went from being one of the best fast bowlers in world cricket to something of a laughing stock as his accuracy deserted him in recent seasons.

He was ribbed mercilessly by England's 'Barmy Army' supporters for his wayward bowling during the 2010-11 Ashes series, despite returning decent figures.

De Winter has backed Johnson to come good again.

"He's in a really good headspace," he said. "He's really fit and he's bowling as well as he has for quite a long time.

"It's great to have him back in the mix and it gives us a great choice when it comes to selection, particularly with his left-arm bowling."

Johnson, who has taken 190 Test wickets at an average of 31.29, played the last of his 47 Tests against South Africa last year, taking just two wickets.

Australia take on top-ranked South Africa at home in a three-test series beginning on November 9.

Read more on:    mitchell johnson  |  cricket


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

The whole saga regarding the team selection for the Proteas Cricket World Cup semi-final continues to drag on... and on! Who do you believe?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.