Faul to leave CSA CEO post
Jacques Faul (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Acting Cricket South Africa chief executive Jacques Faul
has confirmed he will not apply for the post full-time.
"I don't see myself doing the job permanently," Faul told the ESPNcricinfo website
, while sources close to him said the recent infighting was the last straw.
Faul has been in the position as a stand-in since March 2012 after former CEO Gerald Majola
was suspended and then dismissed due to a bonus scandal.
This means the beleaguered organisation will have to search for a new boss, with Faul's tenure ending when a replacement is found.
The news comes with Cricket SA on the verge
of finally determining its structure - a year after retired judge Chris Nicholson made recommendations on the make-up of the board.
“We’ve compromised from our initial Nicholson Commission recommendations - the board will be less independent - as you have to accommodate both schools of thought and move in the right direction,” Faul told SAPA
The commission, appointed by sports minister Fikile Mbalula
in 2011 and chaired by Nicholson, to investigate CSA’s financial wrongdoings under Majola, recommended considerably downsizing the 22-member board and include a majority membership of independent, professionally-skilled directors.
The SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) held a strong view that the chairperson should be non-independent whereas the initial recommendation was that the chairperson be independent.
“We’ve finally agreed on the split between the non-independent and independent directors and now we need to agree on the chairperson. Going forward somebody has to compromise,” Faul said, hoping for a final decision to be made at Wednesday’s meeting.
“For the next 18 months, the governing structure will look different from the one before and that is still a big step in right direction.”
The dispute over the chairperson arose after the former CSA president Norman Arendse
was nominated for the post but because of his former involvement with cricket, he was turned down.
Having the full backing of SASCOC, he took the matter to arbitration and won his case.
“We’ve got to respect the arbitration because you don’t go through the process and then nullify the decision,” said Faul.
“We’ll honour the findings and, like all the other directors, Arendse still needs to be voted in by the Members’ Forum.
"He could still become the chairperson should the board choose to go in that direction.”
Faul admitted he and acting CSA president Willie Basson had made a few mistakes but had worked hard over the past 12 months and always had the best interests of cricket at heart.
“We could have done it better and sat down with SASCOC more and possibly worked more closely with them but, be that as it may, come 2013 we will have a new governing structure and it will have a strong independent component,” he said.
“Governing structures will evolve to make themselves more credible and more respectable and it will be interesting to see in which direction we go.”
Basson’s tenure is set to end at next month's Annual General Meeting - postponed several times until the board structure could be agreed upon - but there had been several attempts to get rid of him sooner by self-serving candidates jockeying for his position as president.
Meanwhile, the post of Cricket SA CEO has been advertised but the successful applicant can only be appointed after the new board is put in place. Faul was considered the favourite for the job because of the positive gains made at CSA in his time in office.