Dubai - Top
Pakistani off-spinner Saeed Ajmal has been suspended from international
cricket after tests found his bowling action was illegal, the
International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Tuesday.
world's number one bowler in one-day internationals, was suspended "with
immediate effect" following an assessment in Brisbane last month.
36-year-old was reported for a suspect action after last month's first
Test against Sri Lanka in Galle. He can apply for a re-assessment once
he has modified his action.
"The player has been suspended from bowling in international cricket with immediate effect," the ICC statement said.
"The analysis revealed that all his deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under the regulations."
The ruling is a blow to Pakistan ahead of their series against Australia in the United Arab Emirates starting next month.
It also comes just a few months before the one-day Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, which starts in February.
will now undergo remedial work on his bowling action in the Western
Australian University at Perth where human movement expert Daryl Foster
will work on his action.
The ICC said Ajmal can be tested again once the remedial work report is satisfactory.
"Ajmal can apply for a re-assessment after he has modified his bowling action in accordance with rules," said the ICC.
if Ajmal is cleared and reported again within a period of two years he
will be banned from all international cricket for 12 months.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) called a meeting to discuss the ICC announcement and vowed to appeal.
a big jolt for us. It's not easy to replace a player like Ajmal who is a
match-winner, and we will appeal against the ICC decision," said a PCB
Ajmal became the seventh Pakistani to be reported for a suspect action.
paceman Shabbir Ahmed was the first bowler in international cricket to
be banned for 12 months after his action was reported twice in a
Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Hafeez, Shahid Afridi,
Riaz Afridi and Shoaib Malik were other Pakistani bowlers reported for
suspect actions in the past.
West Indian Shane Shillingford was also banned for a year after his action was reported twice in 2013.
ICC has recently come down hard on bowlers with suspect actions after
its cricket committee decided no bowler should be allowed to play at
international level without remedial work.
In July this year Sri
Lanka's Sachitra Senanayake and New Zealand's Kane Williamson were also
reported and subsequently banned until remedial work on their actions
Zimbabwe's Prosper Utseya and Bangladesh's Sohag Gazi were also reported for suspect action last month.
All the bowlers reported this year have been off-spinners.