Ex-Proteas back quota rule
Peter Kirsten (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Three former Proteas cricketers are in favour of Cricket South Africa's plan to enforce a new quota system in franchise cricket for the upcoming domestic season.
CSA CEO Haroon Lorgat on Wednesday confirmed
that such proposal is one of a number that came out of the sport’s Transformation Indaba held in Johannesburg last month.
The new ruling would force franchise teams to field at least two black African players in their starting teams.
In an interview with the SowetanLIVE website
, former batsman Peter Kirsten
said he would be in favour of such a ruling.
"There's been talk of this happening for too long, I'm glad it looks like something will now be done," said Kirsten.
"Certainly, black batsmen haven't come through and maybe emphasis needs to be placed on this. Although by implementing this system two other guys will be losing out. I'm all for it."
Former bowler Mfuneko Ngam, who was one of the few black players to make it all the way to the Proteas set-up, said that while the rule has always been there in some form it must now be implemented properly.
"At the moment, two players are contracted (in the provincial teams) but never play. Now they have to have two on the field, not contracted - that's good."
Omar Henry, who was South Africa's first player of colour, said he backed the idea but that there are also psychological aspects that could prove problematic.
"If you remember the Justin Ontong
and Jacques Rudolph
cases - there were plenty of issues. How a player is selected has a psychological effect. There are lessons to be learned there."
Lorgat said the proposal will be considered at the next CSA Board meeting on October 11.
He assured that the ruling - if enforced - would not extend to the national team.