Pat Cummins out of Ashes?

2013-04-03 10:06
Pat Cummins (File)

Sydney - Australian pace sensation Pat Cummins will not be rushed back into action any time soon, head selector John Inverarity said on Wednesday, almost certainly ruling the teenager out of the Ashes series in England this year.

The 19-year-old quick took seven wickets in a remarkable test debut in South Africa in October 2011 but has been unable to pull on the baggy green cap again because of a succession of injuries.

The latest problem, a strain to his upper back sustained in the Twenty20 Champions League last October, forced him to miss the rest of the domestic summer and his return still looks some way away.

With Inverarity saying the selection of the squad for the England trip was at "an advanced stage", Cummins will now have to look to the second Ashes series of the year, starting back in Australia in November, for his test return.

England and Australia are playing back-to-back Ashes series this year to move the series out of its position directly ahead of the World Cup in the international cricket calendar.

"He's tracking well, the one thing we're certainly not going to do is rush him," Inverarity told reporters in Perth on Wednesday.

"He's working on three fronts. Firstly, he's working on rehabilitating his back injury and the second thing is he's doing a lot of strength and conditioning and fitness work.

"The third thing, which he's doing a lot of work with Dennis Lillee on, is remodelling his action because his action had a lot of twists and turns in it."

Cummins, who comes from the rural Blue Mountains to the west of Sydney, burst onto the test scene in 2011 when he took six for 79 in the second innings at Wanderers to help Australia to a two-wicket victory.

Seen by many as the future leader of Australia's pace attack, he had already become the youngest player to be awarded a central contract by Cricket Australia in June 2011, just three months after his first class debut.

On Wednesday, he was included on the list of 20 players awarded central contracts for 2013-14 - a sign of his continued importance to the future of Australian cricket.

Having spent much of last year dealing with a lengthy injury list of pace bowlers, however, the Australian selectors are in no hurry to unwrap the cotton wool.

"He's a question mark in terms of when we bring him back," Inverarity added. "When he comes through, we want him to come through without any further mishap."

Read more on:    pat cummins  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.