Cook denies KP 'ultimatum'

2015-05-20 16:09
Alastair Cook (AFP)

London - England captain Alastair Cook has insisted on Wednesday he had issued no ultimatum that led to Kevin Pietersen's ongoing exile from the national side.

After Andrew Strauss, the England and Wales Cricket Board's new director of cricket, confirmed Pietersen would remain in the international wilderness - where the star batsman has been for some 15 months since the team's 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia - reports emerged that Cook had issued a 'him or me' ultimatum to his new players and had threatened to resign if the South Africa-born Pietersen was recalled to the side.

However, Cook, speaking to reporters at Lord's on Wednesday, said the decision over Pietersen had been taken by Strauss and new ECB chief executive Tom Harrison alone.

"There was no ultimatum. I can deny that," said Cook. "I don't know quite where that came from.

"There is nothing we can do about it as players. The decision has been made, by Andrew Strauss and Tom Harrison," the opening batsman added ahead of Thursday's first Test against New Zealand at Lord's.

But although he wasn't a party to the decision, Cook said he supported Pietersen's continuing absence from the England team.

"I do agree with the decision, yes," he said. "But the decision was made by those two (Strauss and Harrison). That's what their new roles are, and they made that very clear when they were talking to the team.

"This thing has gone on for 15 months now, and we've got to start looking forward as a side."

Since England's recent 1-1 series draw in the West Indies, Strauss has also presided over the sacking of England coach Peter Moores, with assistant coach Paul Farbrace now in caretaker charge.

"It's been an interesting two weeks," added Cook.

"I'm responsible for the team out on the field and the 10 other guys who are going to be with me on another fantastic occasion at a great ground," Cook explained.

"We've got to focus on that and all the external stuff is now focused on other people," added Cook, one of several senior England figures criticised in Pietersen's controversial autobiography published last year.

"I'll let them do their job and hopefully they'll let me do mine."

As for working with Farbrace, while England continue to look for a permanent successor to Moores -- with former Australia fast bowler turned Yorkshire coach Jason Gillespie a leading candidate -- Cook said: "It's another challenge, to have an interim coach.

"I think it's my fourth (coach) as a captain over the last two years.

"There are always challenges to deal with, and it's great to have Farby here."

Strauss told Pietersen, his predecessor as England captain, that a "massive trust issue" prevented him being recalled for this season's home internationals with New Zealand and Australia.

That appeared to contradict earlier comments from new ECB chairman Colin Graves that a return was possible if Pietersen scored enough runs in county cricket.

Unfortunately for Pietersen, and indeed the image of the ECB, Strauss told him he would remain frozen out of England contention shortly after the 34-year-old had scored his maiden first-class triple century, during Surrey's County Championship match against Leicestershire at The Oval.

Pietersen, currently sidelined with a calf injury, reacted angrily and he suggested Wednesday that his ongoing omission from the side might hamper England's search for a new coach, with Farbrace the only candidate willing to take the job while he was still barred from the international set-up.

"He might be the only one who wants to use a team that's not allowed to be at full strength," Pietersen, the only qualified England player the selectors cannot pick currently, told

Read more on:    ecb  |  alastair cook  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.