Captain Holder wants to move on

2015-02-09 09:20
Jason Holder (Gallo)

Sydney - West Indies captain Jason Holder on Monday described the loss of Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard as "huge" but wanted the former champions to move on during the Cricket World Cup.

Drafted in surprisingly as captain just two months before the World Cup, Holder said selection matters were beyond his control.

"They are two players who have done well in world cricket," Holder said when asked what effect will the dropping of the two key players will have on his team.

"I am not the selector. It's out of our control. Not having them would be a huge loss to any side. But it's beyond our control and we have to accept it and move on."

Th 23-year-old became the youngest man to lead the West Indies in the wake of a players' strike over a payment row with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

The tussle resulted in West Indies abandoning the tour of India in October last year.

Bravo and Pollard were the leading players behind the strike and their axing was described as "vengeance" by former West Indian paceman Michael Holding.

But chief selector Clive Lloyd and the WICB dismissed the charge.

Holder said he accepted captaincy after much deliberation.

"Yes, I had to think about it. It was a delicate time. So I gave it some thought and spoke to a few players around the dressing room and made my decision and being captain is a huge thing for me.

"I've seen myself to be a leader in most teams I've put myself into. I've led teams before. I led West Indies Under-19 and I was vice-captain on the West Indies A team. It's not something that I'm fresh to.

Holder hoped his team will lift itself after a 4-1 one-day defeat in South Africa.

"Yes, we've been inconsistent and not played to the best of our abilities but we have some world-beaters in our team. It's all about putting it all together."

Holder was confident he would form a good rapport with senior players.

"I have built a relationship with some of the senior players. Being captain has not been that difficult thus far. We didn't do too well in South Africa but we didn't have our full-strength team out there. I have a good relationship with all the guys."

He described dashing opening batsman Chris Gayle as a key player for the side.

"Chris is big player for any team he plays for," Holder said. "He's a world beater. He's been a top batsman for us for a number of years. We just want him to be his normal self and get the best out of him."

West Indies open their World Cup campaign with a tricky game against Ireland at Nelson on February 16.

Read more on:    west indies  |  jason holder  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.