Ashes

'Drop' misfiring Johnson

2010-11-30 09:37
Mitchell Johnson (AP)

Brisbane - Australian paceman Mitchell Johnson has lost his confidence and must be dropped for this week's second Ashes Test in Adelaide, former captain Ian Chappell said on Tuesday.

Johnson, 29, went wicketless for 170 runs for the first time in his 39 Tests, made a duck and dropped a catch in Monday's drawn Gabba opener prompting a call for his axing.

The 2009 ICC Cricketer of the Year struggled throughout last year's Ashes series loss in England and the tourists had devised a plan to cut down on his effectiveness on home pitches, Chappell said.

Chappell said the national selectors had no option but to drop Johnson, because he had shown no ability to counter the patient English batsmen and his bowling had deteriorated as the first Test progressed.

"Really you could just see his confidence ebbing away to the point where there were some wides and horrible deliveries, and he just looked like a guy bowling without confidence," Chappell told the website Cricinfo.

"So I'm not sure you can take him into Adelaide with no confidence, that's one change they've got to make."

England stymied Johnson by not allowing the left-armer to bowl to his strengths, refusing to be tempted by deliveries angled across them, then picking him off when the frustrated bowler pitched straighter.

"England have done a very smart thing, they've made life difficult for him by the right-handers not fishing outside off stump, he's always got a lot of wickets out there," said Chappell.

"They've been very smart not doing that and saying 'you show us you can bring the ball back in then we might start playing there'.

"At the moment he doesn't look even close to being able to swing a ball back in, so they've helped to dent his confidence.

"At the moment you've just got to send him away and say 'go and get some wickets and get your confidence back', whether he can do that and come back and be a good bowler, we'll find out."

Johnson's spot in the Australian team has been placed under renewed pressure by the inclusion of Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris in a 13-man squad for the Adelaide Test, which starts on Friday.

Read more on:    ashes  |  mitchell johnson
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Sammy excited to be in SA

2014-10-30 17:21

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 

10 facts about swimming you didn't know

This will make you want to jump right into the pool.

 
 

Where were you when you last felt alive?

Snors with a cause - creating awareness of male health
Inspiring: Rock climbing with just one leg
Watch! Skateboarders racing cyclists
Exciting new zipline for Cape Town!
Previous Results

Date Match Result
Vote

Should the Proteas have gone for the win after needing 16 runs from 19 balls with three wickets in hand against India?

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Featured

Got something you'd like to get off your chest? Got a burning desire to air an opinion? If so, be sure to sign-up on Sport24's FORUM!

Latest blogs
 

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.