Cricket

Arthur faces injury crisis

2011-11-25 12:11
Mickey Arthur (Getty Images)
Sydney - Australia's new head coach Mickey Arthur faces a major injury crisis for next week's first Test against fierce rivals New Zealand, with five players including three pace bowlers, out of action.

For his opening match in charge, the 43-year-old South African, the first non-Australian to be handed the job, will be missing all-rounder Shane Watson and batsman Shaun Marsh for the December 1 showdown at the Gabba in Brisbane.

Also out with injury are pacemen Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris and youngster Pat Cummins. The team will be announced on Saturday.

Harris, who returned home early from the tour to South Africa, remains sidelined by pelvis trouble and Watson has a hamstring injury which he picked up in the second Test against South Africa in Johannesburg earlier this week.

Marsh has yet to return to training from the back injury he sustained in South Africa, while Johnson hurt his left foot while batting in the second innings of the second Test in South Africa.

Exciting teenage fast bowling discovery Cummins has a painful left heel and despite scans clearing him of serious injury, Cricket Australia said on Friday he is unlikely to recover in time for Brisbane.

"We unfortunately suffered some injuries during the recent Test series against South Africa," Cricket Australia general manager Pat Howard said in a statement.

"With such a short turnaround time between series, five players who were involved in the (South Africa) series will not fully recover in time to play the first Test against New Zealand."

Australia team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said injury-prone Harris had yet to bowl after returning home from South Africa.

"Ryan Harris is recovering from the pelvis injury that kept him out of the second Test against South Africa," Kountouris said.

"He is making good progress but has not returned to bowling as yet and is therefore unavailable to play the first Test against New Zealand."

Kountouris said a decision on his return to training will be made early next week.

The team physio said Watson's condition will also be reviewed next week.

Watson said he could not risk aggravating his hamstring.

"Even playing as a batsman I could still reinjure it, so it meant that it would really put my summer back in a big way if I did reinjure it," Watson said.

Kountouris said he was hopeful Marsh will return to training next week and possibly could be available for selection for the second Hobart Test.

Cummins, 18, who was man of the match in his debut Test in Johannesburg, is to be reviewed early next week to check on his progress from his heel injury, Kountouris said.

Read more on:    ryan harris  |  shane watson  |  mickey arthur
NEXT ON SPORT24X

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter

Featured

The 103rd Tour de France is all systems GO! Follow the pain, struggles and ultimate joy as the world's best riders put their talents to the test over 21 stages.

Latest blogs
Vote

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.