Arthur, CA reach agreement

2013-07-31 14:50
Mickey Arthur (Getty Images)
London - Former Australia coach Mickey Arthur has come to a financial settlement with Cricket Australia (CA) following his sacking from the national team last month, the two parties said in a joint statement on Wednesday.

The South African was replaced by Darren Lehmann just over two weeks before the Ashes series with England began on July 10 after a string of poor results and ill-discipline in the squad.

He launched an unfair dismissal claim, demanding US$3.6m in compensation or reinstatement, saying he was forced to take legal action because Cricket Australia officials had failed to get in touch with him following his sacking.

However, a confidential settlement has now been agreed.

"Both Mickey and CA agree that it is unfortunate that the dispute was not settled prior to the issuing of legal proceedings," they said in Wednesday's statement.

"Both parties agree that a resolution now is in the interests of the Australian cricket team and cricket generally in Australia.

"Cricket Australia appreciates the efforts that Mickey applied to his coaching role, and wishes him the very best in his future career."

In a separate statement, Arthur added: "I am very happy with the financial settlement we have reached with Cricket Australia.

"It was a real pity I had to launch legal proceedings but I'm glad we came to a settlement without the need to proceed with potentially expensive and protracted litigation.

"For me this was never solely about the money, I just wanted to be treated fairly and with dignity and respect.

"I have significantly reduced my claim as it has been settled tonight and is not dragging on at any significant cost."

Arthur was the first non-Australian to coach the team when appointed in 2011 following their 3-1 home Ashes defeat.

Australia have suffered a run of poor results recently, including losing a Test series 4-0 in India and failing to make the knockout stages of the Champions Trophy.

They have also been troubled off the pitch, with four players suspended in India for failing to provide their thoughts on how Australia could improve in an e-mail, and David Warner suspended for punching England's Joe Root in a bar.

Australia trail England 2-0 in the five-Test Ashes series.

The second Test starts at Old Trafford on Thursday.

Read more on:    cricket australia  |  mickey arthur  |  cricket

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Under fire Proteas coach Russell Domingo has blamed player workloads and fatigue as the reason for the national team's woeful showing in the Tri Series in the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.