What next from SA Rugby?
Sport24 columnist Graeme Joffe (File)
I fully understand that the Lions/Kings Super Rugby saga has been flogged to death, but the sooner SA Rugby can answer the questions posed in previous columns
, the sooner the issue can be put to bed.
The rugby public has a right to know the truth.
I received an email from Andy Colquhoun (GM Corporate Affairs and Strategic Communications Manager at SA Rugby) last week, which I thought would answer some of the questions, but unfortunately his response was not for quoting.
I replied saying that I find it rather strange that you object to my remark about SARU “taking the fifth amendment when the questions get tough”, yet you invoke it by stating that your response is not for quoting.
Andy’s response was that it is for the CEO or president to be quoted on these matters, not himself. But I can forward questions to him and he shall arrange to have them answered.
Not sure why he then replied to me in the first place with an email which got a “thanks Andy” from SARU president Oregan Hoskins.
Anyway, I have forwarded the following questions and await a response from CEO or president of SA Rugby.
1. On January 31, 2012 - did the unions vote in favour of a proposal that the bottom team in 2012 be relegated and appear in a promotion playoff at the end of the 2013 campaign OR did they vote for the Kings inclusion, not at the expense of another SA union?
2. What else did SARU put on the table?
3. Why was the onus on the Unions to come up with a solution - when in fact SARU put the cart before the horse with a “16th” franchise?
4. Did SARU and Jurie Roux not say “no other SA team would fall out of the Super Rugby for the Kings inclusion in 2013”?
5. What changed?
6. Were any of the Unions that voted the Lions out promised any incentives from SARU ie Test matches, money?
7. How much money has SARU put into the Kings since becoming a shareholder?
8. Is SARU compensating the Lions and their fans in any way?
9. Is SARU taking any disciplinary action against Mark Keohane or the Kings for being an unaccredited agent/manager of Luke Watson?
10. Why is the onus on the provinces to confirm that an agent acting for a player is properly accredited? Surely, the onus is on SARU?
11. Why did SARU not look at including the Kings in the Currie Cup 3-4 years ago?
12. Was there any government intervention in the Kings decision?
13. Is the government and SARU involved in a sec 21 company to assist with growing talent in the Eastern Cape?
14. What dates will the Super Rugby promotion/relegation playoff be next year and the format?
15. If Kings finish in the relegation spot, will the goalposts be moved again?
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, it seems as if SASCOC and their CEO, Tubby Reddy is still clocking up the air miles. In his latest SASCOC column, he says: “I am currently in China for debriefing with Team South Africa’s kit supplier, Erke.”
So, you telling me during Tubby’s month long stay in London for the Olympics and Paralympics, he wasn’t able to have a debrief with Erke officials? No, rather spend more public money to go to China (business class of course) for another holiday and I just wonder how many SASCOC officials or family members have gone with him this time?
Yet, SA swimmers are told to pay for part of the costs if they want to go to the FINA World Short Course Championships in Turkey later this year.
Where is the SASCOC police?
Are they also hiding behind bus stops and bushes trying to catch drivers on their cell phones for a little extra Xmas pudding?
In April this year, the Sunday Times were made aware of the SASCOC abuse of funds and I was told by the editor that week that they were about to blow the lid on all of the abuse but they were just waiting for one more piece of information regarding Tubby and co’s travels to a volleyball meeting in Africa.
Five months later and still no SASCOC abuse of funds story in the Sunday Times.
I have repeatedly emailed the editor and also left messages for editor-in-chief, Ray Hartley but got no reply from either.
Last week Tuesday, the Daily Dispatch, a member of the AVUSA group (the same as the Sunday Times) published a story about the abuse of funding in the sports ministry and spending on the Olympics.
Two days later, the Daily Dispatch issues a retraction and apology, saying the report included inaccurate facts and analysis.
Back at the other ranch, sports minister Fikile Mbalula has been engaged in a war of words with suspended Cricket South Africa (CSA) CEO Gerald Majola for calling him an apartheid-style minister.
Mr Mbalula said, “we want to place on record that we stand by our decision to intervene in Cricket SA when we received alleged reports of mismanagement, fraud and dereliction of duty."
Mr Minister, how much more do you need to receive re: SASCOC before you call for an independent inquiry?
Email Graeme at: email@example.comCatch Graeme Joffe on SportsFire every Monday and Thursday at 17:30 on Radio Today, 1485am in JHB, National on DStv audio channel 169 and streaming worldwide on www.1485.org.za. Follow Graeme Joffe on Twitter: @joffersmyboy
Sport24 encourages freedom of speech and the expression of diverse views. The views of columnists published on Sport24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Sport24.